2020 World Bank Blog4Dev Essay Competition For Young Africans
Blog4Dev is now accepting Essay entries for their 2020 World Bank sponsored Essay Competition. Benefits for winners include internship placement at a World Bank country office, amongst others.
Launched in 2014 by the World Bank Kenya office, the Blog4Dev competition is an annual writing contest, inviting young people to weigh in on a topic critical to their country’s economic development. The competition is a way to engage African youths and provide a platform for them to share their views—and solutions—about development topics that are important to them. In 2018, it became a regional competition, open to young citizens from all 48 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
About Blog4Dev Essay Competition
Earlier this year, the entire world came to a standstill as the COVID-19 (coronavirus) quickly spread across the globe. In an attempt to combat the pandemic, the world went into lockdown; schools closed, production chains ground to a halt, social life was disrupted, and people retreated into their homes. Everything changed.
Today, the scope of the pandemic and its devastating effects on people and economies is staggering. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), as of October 8, there have been 36 million confirmed cases globally, 1.2 million of which were in Africa.
To be eligible for the #Blog4Dev competition, you must:
- Be a citizen of one of the 48 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa;
Sub-Saharan countries include Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 28 as of November 30, 2020;
- Not have been a winner of previous editions.
The winning submissions will be selected based on the following criteria:
- clarity in writing and presentation;
- practicality and relevance;
- potential impact on development.
Winning authors are eligible for several prizes, including
- an invitation to attend a dedicated program during the World Bank-IMF Spring Meetings 2021 (if the health situation improves),
- opportunities to represent Africa’s youth at high-level events,
- a chance to intern at a World Bank country office,
- or an opportunity to have their blog published on the World Bank blog Youth Transforming Africa.
Deadline for submission for the 2020 World Bank Blog4Dev Essay Competition For Young Africans is November 30, 2020.
Using the links below, submit your original blog entry detailing your ideas about what it will take to end Early Child Marriage in your country, written in English, French or Portuguese by November 30, 2020
Submissions through email or post will not be accepted.