Award deadline: 30th April, 2021.
The 2021 Mohmmed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Water Award is now welcoming applications from around the world. The Award assists research and development of new and innovative technologies that produce, distribute, store, monitor desalinate and purify water using renewable energy to support the global position of the UAE in developing solutions for challenges that are faced by poverty- and disaster- stricken communities worldwide.
The biennial Award encourages leading corporations, research centres, institutions, the youth and innovators from across the world to compete in finding sustainable and innovative solutions to the problem of water scarcity. Until today and two cycles, they awarded bright minds from around the world for their pioneering in water desalination and purification systems to overcome the world’s crisis.
Water is known to be a basic necessity of life and a driver for sustainable growth, yet 40% of the world population is affected by scarcity of water. According to researchers, the current number is expected to rise especially for communities in rural and poor urban areas. Providing access to potable water gives hope, increases happiness and improves life by enabling children to thrive.
International organizations have joined efforts to find solutions in order to address water scarcity, from establishing humanitarian aid and awareness campaigns to setting sustainable goals globally to achieve water security. The vision of the award reflects Prince. Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s vision for the UEA to be among one of the most innovative nations world, by creating a platform that showcases cost-effective and renewable energy powered sustainable solutions that can meet the needs of the developing communities lacking access to the most basic of our needs, clean drinking water.
The Award is targeting pioneering organizations, research centres, individuals, education institutions as well as innovators from around the world to motivate the participants to come up with innovative, renewable energy powered solutions with the aim to either produce, distribute, store, monitor, desalinate and/or purify water. The categories include:
- Innovative Project Award: consist of Large Project Award and Small Project Award.
- Innovative Individual Project Award: consist of Distinguished Researcher Award and Youth Award.
- Innovative Research and Development Award: consist of National Institutions Award and International Institutions Award.
- Innovative Crisis Solution Award.
- Sustainable solutions on water scarcity will be awarded up to $1,000,000 USD.
- Open to all students, companies, research institutions and innovators around the world.
- They must have developed renewable energy powered technologies that can produce clean drinking water in line with the World Health Organization (WHO)guidelines.
- All applications must be in English.
How To Apply
In order to apply for His Majesty Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Water Award, register your interest by creating an account on the online portal and then filling up the application form with relevant documentation needed to submit your application. This will allow you view the status of your application at any time.