call for Submission: the Hektoen Grand prix Essay competition 2021 [prize $7500USD]
- Host: Hektoen Institute of Medicine
- Open to: All nationals
- Target: Writers
- Deadline: 15th September, 2021
The 2021 Hektoen Grand Prix Essay Competition is now inviting submissions from health professionals, students, and scholars of the humanities and social sciences, and patients around the world.
About the Hektoen Grand Prix Essay Competition
Hella Mannheimer (1924-2020) was a member of the Hektoen Institute of Medicine’s Board of Trustees for many years and served as President of the Women’s Auxiliary Board. She was a devoted supporter of the humanities and attended every meeting of the Hektoen Board of Trustees.
The Hektoen Institute of Medicine recognizes her contributions throughout the years by designating the International Hektoen Grand Prix Essay Competition in her name this year.
The topics for the 2021 Hektoen Grand Prix Essay Competition might include art, history, literature, education, etc. as they relate to medicine. In order to ensure the receipt of a wide variety of articles, we have decided to exclude those dealing with COVID 19 from this contest. We have many articles on medical history, so please search for your topic to see if it has been extensively covered before submitting an article.
We welcome submissions from
- Health professionals, students, and scholars of the humanities and social sciences.
- We also encourage patients to contribute pieces that reflect their experiences or perspectives on healing and health.
Article and Images Guidelines
Articles: must be unpublished, original work that relates medicine to the humanities and no more than 1,500 words in length. Each submission should include:
- A cover page with:
- Author(s) names, titles/degrees, professional affiliation, and location (as you would like it listed in the journal)
- A biography no longer than 100 words
- The author’s contact information
- Article text with:
- The title and page numbers in the document header
- The full text of the article in Times New Roman, size 12, and double-spaced. Please format in Chicago style (chicagomanualofstyle.org) or AMA style (www.amamanualofstyle.com)
- References for quoted and cited material formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style or AMA Manual of Style, with the endnotes in numerical order.
Please save the submission as a Word document by the author’s last name followed by the title (or abbreviated title).
For the article “Big Hugh” by Dr. Smith, save as follows: Smith_Big Hugh.doc
Images: Please include at least one image that complements the article being submitted. Final image choice will be determined by journal staff. Rights to images must be acquired by the author prior to submission.
Images must be:
- High quality and saved as a. JPG
- Titled by author’s surname and short article name. For example, an image to accompany the article “Big Hugh” by Dr. Smith would be saved as follows: Smith_Big Hugh.jpg Add a number at the end to distinguish additional image e.g., Smith_Big Hugh2.jpg
- Accompanied by a caption. Provide a Word document with the following information:
- Caption and source (including the address of the website where you found the image)
- For artwork, please provide the title and date of work, the artist’s name, and the location of the artwork (museum or private collection)
- The caption should be sent as a Word document by the author’s last name. In the example of Dr. Smith, the illustration would be captioned as follows: Smith_Caption.doc
Be sure you have the rights to any images prior to including it with your submission
Also read: Lee And Low Books New Voices Award 2021
- Submission of an article for the Hektoen Grand Prix Essay Competition implies consent to publish in Hektoen International. If accepted for publication, an article may be published at any time regardless of the outcome of the competition. If major edits are made, proofs will be sent to the authors before publication.
- The contest is open to participants 18 years or older.
- For multiple author articles, only one person should submit the entry and communicate with the editors.
- Entries should be no longer than 1,500 words and must follow our article guidelines, including a cover page and proper formatting of both text and illustrations. Incomplete submissions will be deemed ineligible for submission.
- Articles may include images. If you provide an image, please review the guidelines in the Illustrations section below.
- Contest submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted using our form by September 15, 2021, at 12 pm (Noon) CST. Late submissions will not be considered.
- Submissions will be read by the editors and contest judges for Hektoen International. The editors of the journal will recommend submissions and edits for publication and contest judges will read the original submission presented by the author.
- The winners of the contest will be announced by email in 2021 and winning articles will be published in a 2021 issue of Hektoen International.
- Participants should certify that their work is original and that they have copyright ownership and permission to use any images submitted.
- Please send inquiries to email@example.com.
For more information visit the official website of Hektoen Grand Prix Essay Competition