About the UN Volunteers Program
The following is a list of everything you need to know about the UN Volunteers Program 2021 and how to apply to be a volunteer:
- The International UN Volunteers promote peace and development in communities around the globe, while upholding the ideals and aspirations of the United Nations.
- Volunteers come from 160 countries, representing many cultures and backgrounds. They bring a wide variety of perspectives and approaches.
- Your volunteer assignment will make a lasting impact. It can create a ripple effect that extends far beyond the immediate results of your efforts.
- As a volunteer, you will learn about different cultures, expand your networks, study foreign languages and gain matchless professional and life experiences and More.
If you are interested in being part of the UN Volunteers program, you can register and become an international volunteer through any of the many options available, which span a wide range of professions. Volunteering at the United Nations is a position that volunteers from all around the world can apply for.
Volunteering with the United Nations allows you to give your time, skills, and knowledge. This is an opportunity to make a positive difference and to be a powerful force for peace and development. Apply for a UN volunteer position if you want to assist humanity while still earning a living.
UN Volunteer Requirements
The following are the minimum qualifications for serving as an international in the UN Volunteers program or taking up a United Nations volunteer position::
- 25 years old and older (no upper age limit)
- university degree or higher technical diploma
- at least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background
- good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages: English, French or Spanish
- commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism
- ability to work in a multicultural environment
- willingness to work with people and local organizations to draw upon the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge
- ability to adjust in difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations
- strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country is an asset.
Online Registration and Participation
Online volunteering has been crucial to upscale the impact of Youth. They are calls to become a UN online volunteer which is especially helpful during this COVID-19 period.
These online volunteers, who are from many countries and races, bring a diverse set of abilities to the table. They’ve put their skills and knowledge to work on a variety of projects, including editing and translating communications materials, as well as performing research to assist COVID-19 efforts. You can also volunteer with the United Nations online.
Applying for the Regional/Country UN Volunteer Job
In most cases, you can apply for the UN volunteer job through the regional grouping or at the country level – your home country. At the UN volunteer login or special calls page, seven (7) regions are listed as (below):
- Arab States
- Asia and the Pacific
- East and Southern Africa
- Europe and the CIS
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- West and Central Africa
Applicants will have to select any of the regions in which they have nationality or desire to volunteer.
Benefits and Services
- International UN Volunteers assignments generally run for six to 12 months, with the possibility of extending for one to two years.
- Short-term assignments are also requested by our partners from time to time.
- International UN Volunteers are entitled to certain allowances.
- The allowances is not necessarily salary but given for the purpose of sustenance during your service.
To apply for the UN volunteers program or for becoming a volunteer, you will take the following steps;
Step 1: Check Your Eligibility
- The first step to volunteer abroad with the UN is to determine whether you meet the minimum requirements.
Step 2: Register
- If you meet the minimum requirements, next you will proceed to the UN volunteer login page and register your profile in the Global Talent Pool.
Step 3: Find A Volunteer Opportunity
- To submit an application and become a volunteer, you simply should select a suitable volunteer opportunity from the special calls or from the pools of opportunities and apply.
NOTE: You can find opportunities easily by checking the country/region box or simply scroll through the list of recently posted opportunities to find the ones that suits you.
For more information visit the official website of the UN Volunteers Program