Google News Initiative: GNI Innovation Challenge 2022 [Worth $150,000]
- Host: Google
- Open to: Middle East, Turkey & Africa
- Target: Youths
- Deadline: 5th Apr.2022
Applications for the GNI Innovation Challenge 2022 are currently ongoing.
About the GNI Innovation Challenge 2022
The Google News Initiative (GNI) Innovation Challenge is a global program that empowers news organizations from around the world to demonstrate new thinking in digital journalism.
The GNI Innovation Challenge in the Middle East, Turkey & Africa region focuses on innovation in any form. It follows the first two rounds which saw 43 projects selected from 18 countries. The projects will also produce learnings and thought leadership to share with the wider industry.
- Open to organizations of every size, including freelancers and sole traders, that aim to produce innovative, original journalism and whose projects focus on innovation towards creating a more sustainable and diverse news ecosystem.
- Geographically, applicants must be based in the Middle East, Turkey & Africa region.
- News organizations must be incorporated in the Middle East, Turkey & Africa region. Unincorporated organizations must be registered in the region or, if unregistered, have their principal place of business there.
All ideas are welcome but we require all projects to have clear indicators showing the potential impact of the project from a user perspective and/or from a business perspective. Selected projects will also need to be delivered within one year.
They encourage innovative projects – focused on, but not limited to – the areas below:
- Ways to increase reader engagement and/or reader revenue
- Developing and diversifying business models
- New methods of distribution
- Combating misinformation
- Increasing trust in journalism
- Reaching new audiences
- Improving the efficiency of workflows
- Exploring new technologies
The GNI Innovation Challenge projects will be evaluated against five main criteria:
- Innovation: Preferred projects will be innovative and transformative for the applicant and for the users.
- Impact on the news ecosystem: Preferred projects should demonstrate potential for significant positive impact for the wider industry. For example, collaborative approaches, open source projects or just ideas that inspire others and nurture innovative thinking for quality journalism are welcome.
- Feasibility: Preferred projects should demonstrate their potential through clear indicators and expected metrics. They should set out key risks and mitigation steps.
- Diversity: Preferred projects will be able to demonstrate their self-defined commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion whether that is within their audience, organization or content. Google is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and works to support companies/projects which are in line with such values.
- Inspiration: Preferred projects will show willingness to share knowledge and to contribute to the improvement of the ecosystem overall. This could include activities such as attending events, penning blogposts or contributing to case studies. Selected recipients will be required to produce a public report with learnings from the project.
Google will award up to $150,000 for each project, up to a maximum of 70% of the total project budget. These funding levels may be varied by Google in their absolute discretion.
The application window opens on 22 February 2022 at 9 am GMT, and closes on Tuesday, April 5 at 23:59 GMT. Only online applications in English or French will be considered. Applicants are asked to provide descriptions, budget information, and a slide deck via the online application form.
For more information visit GNI Innovation Challenge