Deadline: November 30, 2022
Applications are open for the Explore Africa Writing Contest 2022. Explore Africa Writing Contest is a project to promote travel information and tourism in Africa by improving creating new articles about cities, villages, geographical regions, itineraries and phrasebooks on the English Wikivoyage.
Africa is a beautiful continent with great people and offers countless destinations worth exploring for people who are travel enthusiasts. With over 1.2 billion people, Africa is the second most populous continent. However, there is little information detailing the travel destinations.
The Explore Africa Campaign aims to bridge the content gap that currently exists with respect to notable landmark areas. This would be accomplished by engaging with travel and tourism professionals who will provide their knowledge on landmark locations and tourist destinations. They would recruit and engage new wikimedians who will create and enhance content about travel destinations.
Contents will include:
- Geographical regions
- 1st prize: Shopping Voucher: $500
- 2nd prize: Shopping Voucher: $300
- 3rd prize: Shopping Voucher: $200
- 4th prize: Shopping Voucher: $150
- 5th prize: Shopping Voucher: $100
- Itinerary prize winner: Shopping voucher: $150
- Phrasebooks prize winner: Shopping voucher: $150
- Travel and tourism professionals who can bring their high level of knowledge, interest and experience to the table in enhancing contents on Wikipedia and Wikivoyage respectively.
- Travels and tourism enthusiasts.
- Wikipedia and Wikivoyage contributors.
- Seasoned Wikipedia Organizers in target countries who can help mobilize existing Wiki contributors and run training sessions and edit-a-thons.
Read the following campaign rules before applying:
- All participants must create a Wikipedia account and be signed in before making any edits.
- Make sure you are registered on your country’s dashboard, so your edits can be tracked as part of the campaign.
- All contributions as part of the campaign must follow or be related to the theme of the campaign. Editing Articles outside this scope will not count.
- Double/multiple performances of one task as several edits on an article count as one edit. For example, fixing two different typos over two different edits on an article counts as one edit, not two.
- Points are not given when an edit is made to correct a previous edit by the same participant.
- Responses to messages on talk pages and reverted edits do not count as an edit.
For more information, visit Explore Africa Contest.