Deadline: April 30, 2023
Applications are open for the UN SDG Action Awards 2023. The UN SDG Action Awards is a signature programme of the UN SDG Action Campaign, seeking initiatives and individuals that mobilize, inspire and connect people to drive positive change.
At the midpoint of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development the world stands at a crucial moment where transformation is possible and every action matters. Imagination carries great power. What we can imagine, we can make happen. By tapping into our creativity and diversity anchored in trust and solidarity, we can work together to create the future in which we thrive in harmony with the planet. This is why the UN SDG Action Campaign is seeking initiatives and individuals that make a difference on the ground and Flip the Script, turning fear into hope, vulnerability into resilience, war into peace, and division into unity.
Today’s challenges transcend any one person, government or single entity. That does not mean we are powerless as individuals— but only that we are more powerful together.
- Mobilize: Initiatives that turn apathy into action by mobilizing hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of individuals to take action for the SDGs. They are seeking initiatives with high impact, typically involving collective and coordinated actions that mobilize people to Flip the Script and achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Inspire: Initiatives that harness the power of creativity to inspire positive change and shift behaviour for the SDGs. They are seeking initiatives and inspirational campaigns that Flip the Script to shift individual behaviour and/or public policies.
- Connect: Initiatives that turn division into unity by connecting diverse sectors and partners – from citizens to institutions – to accelerate progress on the SDGs. They are seeking initiatives that Flip the Script and connect people, organizations, and institutions to harness commitments and accountability towards the SDGs.
- Changemaker: Outstanding individuals who demonstrate that the power is in our hands to Flip the Script and enact transformative change. Their actions had an extraordinary impact towards the SDGs on the ground whilst empowering communities and creating a multiplying effect.
- Finalists and winners will be unveiled and celebrated at an inspiring and creative UN SDG Action Awards Ceremony, livestreamed globally.
- Open to initiatives and individuals that mobilize, inspire and connect people to drive positive change.
- All sectors are encouraged to apply.
- Initiatives led by United Nations entities, national governments or partners of the UN SDG Action Campaign will only be considered for honorable mentions.
All applications and nominations will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Impact: What is the impact of the initiative? e.g. number of people impacted, mobilized, number of sectors involved, policies/legislation/budgets influenced, tangible shifts in behavior for the SDG.
- Approach: How innovative is this initiative’s strategy? Is it a breakthrough idea? Is the initiative also engaging those left behind?
- Scalability/Replicability: Does this initiative have the potential to be scaled up and/or be replicated in other contexts to accelerate the achievement of the Global Goals? Is there any evidence that scaling up or replication is already taking place?
The category for INDIVIDUALS has additional criteria.
- Changemaker Multiplier Effect: Has the individual impacted well beyond his/her/their initial goal? Did he/she/they manage to inspire positive change well beyond their initial goal?
Apply or send your nomination by April 30, 2023 to be celebrated in the 2023 UN SDG Action Awards programme.
For more information, see FAQ and visit UN SDG Action Awards.