Deadline: March 3, 2023
Applications for the S+T+ARTS Prize 2023 are now open. S+T+ARTS is an initiative of the European Commission to foster alliances of technology and artistic practice.
As part of this initiative, the S+T+ARTS Prize awards the most pioneering collaborations and results in the field of creativity and innovation at the crossings of science and technology with the arts. The S+T+ARTS Prize of the European Commission is launched by Ars Electronica and the consortium partners Bozar, Waag, INOVA+, T6 Ecosystems, French Tech Grande Provence and Frankfurter Buchmesse. Since 2016, more than 200 projects out of 14.291 submissions from 96 different countries have been honored and a total of €280,000 in prize money has been distributed in the S+T+ARTS Prize competition.
S+T+ARTS Prize 2023 Priorities
In its new edition, the prestigious prize not only has an expanded consortium, but also a thematic focus. The current spotlight lies on cross-sectoral projects investigating the disruptive powers of creative data and media innovation as well as on works exploring hybrid formats, groundbreaking technologies or initiatives of storytelling in next generation media. While all outstanding examples of innovative collaborations and artistic explorations in S+T+ARTS are highly encouraged to submit their works, the 2023 priorities lie on innovative projects:
- that show a novel artistic approach to data.
- that play with immersive technology, interactive media, and related technological developments.
- that display a democratization in the use and application of data and content development and creation in the media landscape.
- that are involved in user-generated content or metadata, crowdsourcing & co-creation or citizen involvement.
- that reveal the potentials as well as risks of the organization of contemporary data systems and media interfaces.
- that manifest innovative ways in the unique creation, access and distribution of media content & platforms as well as personalized and non-linear storytelling.
- that exhibit new, qualitative approaches as a result of disrupting traditional media.
Two prizes, each with €20,000 prize money, are offered to honor innovative projects at the intersection of science, technology and the arts: The emphasis of both prizes lies on the creative appropriation and employment of technologies as well as the search for unique constellations of collaboration from the S+T+ARTS fields.
- Grand Prize – Innovative Collaboration: honors innovative collaboration between industry or technology and the artistic (and creative) sectors that open up new avenues for innovation.
- Grand Prize – Artistic Exploration: honors artistic research and works whose adoption by the arts has great potential to influence or change the use, application, or perception of technology.
- Open to artists/creative professionals or the researchers/companies from around the world;
- S+T+ARTS is not limited to citizens of EU-member states.
You can submit:
- Groundbreaking collaborations and projects driven by both technology and the arts. Purely artistic or technologically driven projects are not the focus of this competition.
- All forms of artistic works and practices with a strong link to innovation in technology, business and/or society; furthermore, S+T+ARTS is not restricted to a particular genre such as media art and digital art.
- All types of technological and scientific research and development that has been inspired by art or involves artists as catalysts of novel thinking.
- The jury is looking forward to receiving submissions from a broad variety of fields and disciplines. Among others, projects from the areas of new media applications, human computer interaction, machine learning, biotechnology, art & science, green technologies, material research, smart cities and citizen empowerment, robotics, quantum technology and many more are very welcome to apply.
- Quality of the artistic research and its potential influence on technology
- Quality and success of the collaboration between art and technology
- Quality and intensity of the connection to innovation, education, social inclusion or sustainability
- Quality and implementation of the European Dimension of the submitted project
- General criteria such as aesthetics, originality, convincing concept, innovation and the technique and quality of the presentation
The submission process for the S+T+ARTS Prize 2023 starts on January 11, 2023 and will end on March 3, 2023.
For more information, visit S+T+ARTS Prize.