Deadline: February 19, 2023
Applications are open for the UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Programme in Latin America and the Caribbean 2023. The UNAOC Young Peacebuilders is a peace education initiative that is designed to support young people in gaining skills that can enhance their positive role in issues of peace and security and in preventing violent conflict.
Guided by the principle that youth are key actors to achieve peace and prevent violent extremism, UNAOC develops educational programming to enhance the ability of young people and their organizations to foster mutual respect, understanding and long-term positive relationships between peoples of different cultures and religions.
- Part 1: online phase. Participants access the course through an online collaborative platform. UNAOC and other trainers facilitate the first few modules of the curriculum, giving an opportunity to participants to get to know each other prior to their first in-person meeting. They also start getting exposed to tools and concepts, engage in discussion and start reflecting on their peace actions.
- Part 2: face-to-face workshop. All participants travel to complete the training and experience how peacebuilding is successfully implemented through local field visits.
- Part 3: applied learning. Implementation of a personal peace initiative: participants are guided by UNAOC’s professional trainers and stay connected with other participants through the online platform, while reporting on the implementation of their projects.
- Part 4: results sharing symposium. Participants are invited to participate in a symposium during which they share their experience, lessons learned, achievements and recommendations with a broader audience of practitioners, policy makers, media and the general public.
All selected youth participants will be provided with:
- Round-trip travel (international or domestic flight, economy class) to the city of the face-to-face workshop and (for those selected) to the city of the symposium;
- Accommodation in the city of the face-to-face workshop and the symposium;
- Meals and coffee breaks during the official duration of the workshop and the symposium;
- Shuttles or reimbursement of transportation to/from the airport and hotel in the city of the face-to-face workshop and in the city of the symposium.
- Applicant should be between 18 and 25 years old;
- Be a citizen of a LAC country and/or currently live in this region;
- You are interested in taking part in an intercultural learning experience with other young people from LAC and improve your actions to promote peace;
- You are part of a youth-led organization, network or initiative;
- You want to increase your ability to contribute to peace and social inclusion in your community, country and region;
- You are in the beginning stages of your involvement in this type of work and want to learn more.
Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela
In order to participate, applicants must commit to completing all phases of the programme. Online involvement is part-time, while the workshop is a full-time, one-week experience. Participation in the results-sharing symposium is also mandatory.
For more information, visit UNAOC.