Deadline: January 31, 2023
Applications for the Vienna Biocenter Summer School 2023 are now open. The Vienna Biocenter Summer School provides a unique opportunity for approximately 20 undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment.
The programme aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. The programme, starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the the last Friday of August (or 31 August) each year.
Each fellow will be allocated a faculty member, with whom they will work closely. The research project will focus on a current topic in the allocated lab. Supported by a member of the laboratory the scholar will be expected to perform experiments, analyse data, generate ideas, and discuss their results. In addition to practical laboratory work the scholar will also take part in lab meetings, journal clubs and other activities.
- Selected fellows receive numerous benefits e.g. free student accommodation, a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week programme, medical insurance and others.
- Open to students (BA Hons, Master, MSc) from all around the world
- Completed at least 2 years of a University study (e.g. 2-3 years of a Bachelor (Hons) study or 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June) as follows:
- In Year 3 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject
- In Year 4 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject with an acceptance or intention to apply to a Master programme (this will be checked later)
- In Year 1 of a 2-year Master course, MSc in a Life Science related subject
- In Year 2 of a US undergraduate Bachelor in a Life Science related subject
- In Year 2 of a 4-Year BTech (India) in a Life Science related subject
- 3-months research experience
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies
Interested students should complete the online application form. When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference. While they cannot guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, they will make their best efforts to do so. You will also be asked to detail your educational and research experience.
For more information, visit Vienna Biocenter Summer School.