Deadline: December 1, 2022
Applications are open for the DAAD Artists-in-Berlin Programme 2024. The programme was established to offer awardees time and space to focus on their creative practice without any production obligations.
The programme fellows are invited to actively engage with Berlin’s and Germany’s vibrant cultural scenes, as well as with different communities within the city. Each year, around twenty outstanding practitioners from diverse cultural backgrounds are invited to Berlin. The Artists-in-Berlin Programme is committed to including and presenting a wide array of voices and perspectives, and to advancing gender equality.
Throughout its history, the DAAD Artists-in-Berlin Programme has been a key player when it comes to fostering the internationalization of contemporary arts in Germany. Nevertheless, there is still much work to be done in terms of acknowledging the value and relevance of contemporary practices beyond Eurocentric frameworks. At this given moment in history, they consider it their responsibility to demonstrate a clear commitment to creating equality of access, visibility, and resources through their institutional practice without measuring artistic positions against a Western arts & culture system and its market.
DAAD Artists-in-Berlin Programme fellowship awards comprise the following benefits:
- Monthly grant installments for living expenses and rent
- Provision of a furnished apartment
- Travel and baggage expenses (regular airline, economy class), also for spouse and children who will be staying in Berlin for the entire duration of the invitation
- If required: health, accident, and long-term care insurance (contributions will be deducted from the monthly grant)
- German language lessons (optional)
- Open to outstanding practitioners. It is conceived for established artists who have already developed their own voice and standing.
- There is no age limitation (upwards).
- They support gender equality and diversity of origins.
- While an academic background is not required for selection, the Artists-in-Berlin Programme is interested in work that intellectually examines and takes a critical approach toward historical and current issues and discourses. They therefore prefer artists who go beyond pure aesthetics and address the relevant topics of our times
They accept only the following attachments:
- application_DISCIPLINE_SURNAME_NAME.pdf (required)
- personaldata_DISCIPLINE_SURNAME_NAME.pdf (required)
- press_DISCIPLINE_SURNAME_NAME.pdf (optional, 4 pages max.)
- ref_DISCIPLINE_SURNAME_NAME.pdf (optional, 4 pages max.)
Any other material / links sent in the email will not be considered. Make sure the email does not exceed 10 MB in total size and the file names comply with the specifications above.
Follow the specifc guidelines of your discipline for submitting work samples before sending your application email to [email protected]
For more information, visit DAAD Artists-in-Berlin Programme.