Deadline: February 1, 2023
Applications are open for the Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) Creative Writing Workshop 2023. From August 1 to October 31, 2023, JIAS will host a group of promising African creative writers.
The workshop will be a writing-intensive, three-month programme for early career writers who have a current work in progress that they would like to complete or polish. Each writer will focus on her/his/their individual work as well as read others’ work and provide feedback. Writers will greatly benefit from the supportive structure that a writers’ workshop creates.
Workshop participants will be mentored by accomplished, critically-acclaimed, and award-winning writers. This is a great opportunity for novice writers to learn from established writers who are masters of their craft. Participants in the workshop will also be able to take advantage of and benefit from the vitality and diversity that a dynamic city like Johannesburg has to offer.
Each participant will receive:
- Accommodation at JIAS’ private residence
- Daily breakfast, lunch and stipend
- An intensive and immersive creative experience
- Mentorship from established and highly accomplished writers
- Open to African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, and Poetry.
Submit the following:
- A complete application form
- A copy of your passport ID page
- A creative writing CV
- A one-page creative writing project proposal
- A writing sample: Playwriting aand Screenwriting (first 10 pages of Script); Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction (5-10 pages); Poetry (3-5 poems)
For more information, visit JIAS Workshop.