Deadline: January 27, 2023
Applications are open for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme 2023-2024 at the University of Edinburgh. The Scholars Programme at the University of Edinburgh will provide 3 year part-time online Master’s scholarships & 2-year part-time postgraduate Diploma scholarships to students living or working in Africa with great academic and leadership potential but few educational opportunities.
They are recruiting exceptional young people committed to pursuing their studies digitally to apply for an Online Scholarship at the University of Edinburgh. Online studies are an excellent way to earn a qualification, while at the same time continuing to work flexibly and live at home. Online qualifications though the University of Edinburgh are fully equivalent to degrees taught on campus.
Applicants can apply for either:
- Online Masters (part-time over 3 years) OR
- Online Post-graduate Diploma (part-time over 2 years)
Masters programmes are normally aimed at those who have completed an undergraduate degree and want to develop more specialised knowledge in the same subject or similar career area. The MCF scholarship will cover the full tuition fees, a small study stipend to allow for access to high-quality internet, a laptop and the opportunity to attend an in-person summer school in Africa. The scholarship is designed to cover three-years of part-time online study. On top of financial support, Scholars will participate in activities as part of the wider Scholars Programme at the University of Edinburgh, including regular online workshops, online coaching and support. Applicants who already have a postgraduate qualification are not able to apply for this scholarship.
Online Postgraduate Diploma
Postgraduate diplomas are aimed at those who are considering a potential change in career and tend to be more vocational. Candidates with either an undergraduate or Master’s degree from a Sub-Saharan African university are equally able to apply (provided they will graduate from either degree before December 2022). The scholarship will cover the full tuition fees, a small study stipend to allow for access to high-quality internet, a laptop and the opportunity to attend an in-person summer school in Africa. The scholarship is designed to cover two-years of part-time online study. On top of financial support, Scholars will participate in activities as part of the wider Scholars Programme at the University of Edinburgh, including regular online workshops, online coaching and support.
- Applicants must qualify academically for admission to the University of Edinburgh for a relevant degree programme listed. You will generally need to have achieved the equivalent of a UK Second Class (Upper) Bachelor’s (Hons) degree or higher.
- Applicants must have graduated from undergraduate study before December 2022 and must be in possession of a degree certificate and official, final transcript to upload alongside their application.
- Applicants must be residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants must be without the financial means to study oversees independently.
- They particularly welcome applications from female scholars, scholars from refugee and displaced backgrounds, and scholars with disabilities.
- Applicants must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within their community.
- If applying for the Masters programme: Applicants should not have previously completed a postgraduate degree and should not be enrolled (or apply to enrol) at a separate university whilst on the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
- If applying for the PG diploma: Applicants can either have an undergraduate or Master’s degree from a Sub-Saharan African university (provided they will graduate from either degree before December 2022). If you have a Master’s degree, the admissions team will review you first degree (undergraduate) to meet the post graduate diploma entry requirement. The MCF team will review your Master’s degree transcripts to confirm the graduation date and location of your University.
- Applicants must be 35 or under on September 1, 2023.
Scholarships are available for the following online postgraduate programmes only:
- International Development (Masters route only)
- Global Food Security and Nutrition (Masters or Diploma)
- Global Challenges (Masters or Diploma)
- Carbon Management (Masters route only)
- One Health (Masters or Diploma)
Applications for the 2023 Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme, for postgraduate degrees only, will close on Friday, January 27, 2023 at 5pm UK time.
For more information, visit MCFSP at Edinburgh.